Hot Trend: Houndstooth

lori-fairbanksApril’s Hot Spot column focuses on houndstooth–this trend is so much fun! I love the classic nature of this print. It’s a subset of two overarching trends that have been popular over the past year or two:

* Black and white

* Menswear

What’s especially appealing about this print is how versatile it is.

* In it’s black and white form, it feels perpetually crisp and traditional. Use it as an elegant accent for pages with formal themes-think wedding, heritage, tribute pages and more. Here it is in a smart look from Ann Taylor:

Houndstooth jacket by Ann Taylor

Houndstooth jacket by Ann Taylor

* Recolor it to change the look and feel of the print. Imagine the houndstooth print in a pastel color + white on a baby page (Pretty!). Here’s a darling toddler dress from Little Mass with a gold and white houndstooth print:

Union Jack Dress by Little Mass

Union Jack Dress by Little Mass

* Choose a pop color like orange, turquoise or dark pink + white for everyday-themed pages. Or, for a bolder, more masculine look, pair a bright color like red with black. Check out these cool flip-flops from Old Navy:

Houndstooth flip flops by Old Navy

Houndstooth flip flops by Old Navy

* Enlarge and pixilate the print to give it a modern edge. Look at these snappy kicks from Oh Deer:

Oh Deer pink/houndstooth shoes

Oh Deer pink/houndstooth shoes

Ready to try this look on your pages? Here’s some product with houndstooth prints:

* Cornish Heritage Farms’  Fine Houndstooth Scrapblock, 6″ x 6″ Cling Mounted Rubber Stamp:

Cornish Heritage Farms houndstooth stamp

Graphic 45 Wallflower paper from Times Nouveau line

* Scrap In Style TV Gaffer Tape:

Scrap In Style TV gaffer tape

Scrap In Style TV gaffer tape

* KI Memories Sheer Delights:

3221-l

Want to win some of this houndstooth goodness? Leave a comment to this post about how you’d use this fun print by Tueday, March 31st. We’ll randomly select one winner to receive a goody bag featuring several of the above houndstooth products!

–Lori Fairbanks, Associate Writer

75 Responses to Hot Trend: Houndstooth

1. Joan Nordby says:

Houndstooth….WHEE. What a memory maker…60′s, 70′s and now!

2. Jingle says:

Houndstooth is a classic! I love using it on my cards and pages as a great simple, but fun background to mix with bright patterns! It would work really well with a few photos of me that my dh just recently took!

3. Erica says:

My first thought was using the paper to do a page of my husband, brother, and daughter playing Guitar Hero. It has that rock ‘n roll feel to it. Thanks for all the great ideas!

4. Patty says:

That paper would be perfect for my 60′s and 70′s photo’s! It reminds me of one of my all time favorite TV shows … That Girl!

5. Joni says:

I’d girl it up with a lot of pink and some bling. Kind of a funky shabby chic look for me. I seem to be really attracted to that style right now.

6. readmorebooks says:

Love the idea of black and pink or black and aqua houndstooth–very 80s!

7. Paula Valentino says:

I could use this houndstooth pattern with some great photos of my mom wearing some funky sunglasses!

8. Sabrina Ropp says:

I don’t have any houndstooth product, but it sure looks fun! I’d love to use it with girly photos of my four year old princess!

9. That would look great on some cards!

10. Deanne says:

Houndstooth makes the best cards for men. Sometimes it is hard to make masculine cards but hounds tooth works for all of them!

11. Katie says:

I can see some houndstooth blossoms in my future…

12. Jennifer Larson says:

I’d use it to scrap this winter’s photos for game nights in particular.

13. Ruth Allmart says:

Oh my gosh I didn’t realize how much houndstooth products there was! I love it. I could see myself using some pink houndstooth on some pages about my twin girls when they were babies (cause I haven’t scrapbooked them all yet!!) and also I’d love to use some black and white on some wedding layouts. Thanks for the inspiration :)

14. Sabine SR says:

I love clothes with houndstooth design and I can´t wait for paper with this design to create a layout with pictures of my grandmother who died three days ago. She was a textil-designer and she loved these classic designs.

15. Deb Smith says:

I would love some in pastel colors to go with some of my daughters baby pictures.

16. sandee says:

Anything so classic would be a joy to use on my cards and LO’s…and some bright color popping off the black and white would be beautiful!

17. Sara-Jane says:

Houndstooth is a nice neutral pattern but also sophisticated too.

18. Kelsey says:

I recently did a page where I paired a large black and white houndstooth print with bright pink (a Heidi Swapp paper) with a few fun black and white photos of my 2 year old brushing her teeth. LOVE IT!

19. LenaS says:

I’d love to use the houndstooth to make die-cut shapes to create my own design. Winter pics would look so good on the black and white as well.

20. LenaS says:

Not sure why my previous post is dated 04/01/2009 when it is 03/31/2009 today at 5:33pm????

21. Cindy D says:

I would use it along with some pink paper and make a page about my grand-daughters. They are 2 and 3 years old. I think they would love it!

22. Tara says:

Could easily be a modish version of toile! Love it!

23. Julie says:

I am loving the houndstooth! I picked up some paper and flowers at Michael’s and have a page in mind as we speak. But I have to say I LOVE those Oh Deer shoes that you posted a pic of!!! And I am not a big shoe person! *L*

24. Pingback: Reader Gallery & Houndstooth Winners « Creating Keepsakes Blog

25. Versace says:

This vintage Versace men’s wear blazer is more stylish, I think, than the Ann Taylor one shown above. It has lines that are so in style and trendy right now, yet exudes a classic charm that will be stylish for many years to come. Houndstooth, shoulder pads, narrow peaked lapels, double breasted, 1980′s vintage — ahhhhH! Truly a magnificent find.