Special Guest Blogger: Jennifer McGuire

colorflowers

jennifermcguire-new-1107

Hello, scrappers!  It is Jennifer McGuire here.  I’m excited to be this week’s guest blogger and show you how to make unique handmade flowers.

Megan asked me to do this post after I created a bunch of flowers for her “Color by Theme” article in the May 2009 issue of CK (flowers shown above). I had so much fun making flower props and coming up with all the colors and products to use. And now I’m excited to share step-by-step photos for two of my favorite blooms here.

BEADED FLOWER

First up, I have this beaded flower.  It looks like it is tough to make, but it is really quite simple.

jennifer_bead

Step 1: Cut a 2′ piece of bead wire (available in most craft stores) and grab some beads. Your beads don’t need to be fancy-I just used some inexpensive ones that I had from a previous beading project.

jennifer_bead1

Step 2: Thread one bead on the wire and tie a knot around it to hold it in place at the end.  Continue adding beads until you’ve covered about 1 ½’ of wire. Note: Don’t tie off the other end – just leave the beads loose on the wire. Loop a portion of the beaded wire to create your first petal, wrapping the wire around the initial knotted bead to secure it in place. Repeat until you have five petals.

jennifer_bead3

Step 3:  After forming five loops, remove any extra beads and wrap the extra wire around the center several times to secure the flower.

jennifer_bead2

Step 4: Add a button to the center with glue dots to hold the flower in place and conceal the wire. Easy!

FOLDED FLOWER

Next up is a folded flower.  This makes a great accent on gifts. I love to create these!

jennifer_crimped2

Step 1:  Cut a strip of patterned paper to 1″ wide x 12″ long. Create ½” accordion folds along the entire strip.

jennifer_crimped

Step 2: Adhere the ends of the folded strip together, forming a ring. Punch (or cut) a 1 ½” circle from white cardstock and cover it with adhesive.

jennifer_crimped1

Step 3:  Press the top edge of the folded circle down and in. This will flatten the circle into a flower shape. Secure the flower by attaching the bottom side to the adhesive-covered circle.

jennifer_crimped3

Step 4: Attach an accent to the front center of the flower. (I used a felt button and a little ribbon.)

Supplies: Making Memories Wire, Hobby Lobby Beads, Buttons Galore button, Bella Blvd paper, Hero Arts felt button, Creative Impressions ribbon.

I hope these flower ideas get you excited for summer and inspired to create!  If you are interested in more scrapbooking techniques and videos, stop by my blog at jennifermcguireink.com.

Happy scrapping!

Jennifer McGuire, CK Contributing Writer

WIN A FLOWER GRAB BAG

jennifer_giveaway

Are you in love with Jennifer’s flower ideas? Well, you’re in luck. We’re giving away flower grab bags. We’ve divided up the flowers she made for our May 2009 issue into five bags, each containing one flower from each color family (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple and white). Each bloomin’ bundle will soon call a new place home. Here’s how to enter:

Leave a comment for Jennifer stating your favorite flower technique sometime between now and Sunday, April 26. From the comments received, five winners will randomely be selected and announced in our “Weekly Warm-up” post on Monday, April 27. Good luck!

This entry was posted in Guest Blogger, How-Tos and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

221 Responses to Special Guest Blogger: Jennifer McGuire

1. GLOANN says:

How can I possibly name a favorite technique? But I do love the one on Jennifer’s blog where the petals are all curled up and in somewhat. Just love using any kind of “homemade” accents on my pages. You’ve always been a great source of inspiration for this, Jennifer.

2. Sandy L says:

I love the beaded flower – in fact, I’m off to make it right now! :)

3. Mary Harris says:

Oh I love the beaded flower. I have to try that. The funny thing is I am on the computer looking for all different kinds of flowers to make for my cards. This is Awesome, thank you.

4. Linda S says:

Love the folded flower! Thanks so much for sharing!!

5. Barbara says:

oh I would love to have these. What an awesome selection of flowers/. Way cute

6. Joan Schonrock says:

The accordion folded flower caught my attention as I was scrolling down the page. I love many of the cute ideas.

7. Donna Broussard says:

I love the beaded flower the best. I am a beader so I have plenty of beads that I can work with.
    Thank you for the tutorial.

8. Tammy Davis says:

I have to agree that my favorite (hard to pick) is the beaded flower. Beautiful! And I have lots of beads. Thanks so much for showing the techniques. I always love all of the embellishments that you make for Creating Keepsakes!

9. cristina says:

oh i love to see your invitation samples and other stuff i live in the philippines and been looking for stuff of materials or maybe a tutorial on how develop more my skills like you stuffs… but i can’t find any like the machine you’ve been using or the themes that i can use for my designs…. hope u’ll help me out on the different techniques more… tnx… and more power to you…

10. the best soldering iron are those using non-filament heaters, the tip should be made of steel alloy too’~-

11. `;” I am very thankful to this topic because it really gives great information :::

12. Jan says:

I love the beaded flowers. Lots of possibilities.

13. Candace says:

I love the beaded flowers. Any type/size of beads would work and any color combination. I can’t wait until I can try to make some!

14. Cindy says:

As always, Jennifer your creations are such an inspiration. Your beaded flowers are such special creations, showing your hand-made talents.

15. I love the accordian-pleated flowers. Simple and easy to make, but can be “gussied” up by using an edge pundge, Stickles, etc. Thanks Jennifer!

16. LCJinRoslyn PA says:

Both of these are so cute I can’t wait to try them. Lately my faves have been gathered fabric “mountain” (zigsag points) strips glued to small cinnamon sticks with green strips tied on for leaves. Doing some right now in a cheerful yellow print that will look just like Black-eyed Susans when I top them with black buttons… these look great on a LO and SMELL WONDERFUL, too!

17. katie says:

Always love her work. She is very talented and inspirational!
    katie

18. Judy S says:

Especially like the paper flower on a gift idea – I need to try that!

19. Sandy says:

Love your ideas for homemade flower embellishments! I really enjoy making my own embellishments, and you have given me some ideas! Thanks!

20. Julie Stafford says:

LOVE these flowers!!! Can’t wait to try them!! Thank you for sharing!!

21. I think this internet site has got some real fantastic information for everyone. “I prefer the wicked rather than the foolish. The wicked sometimes rest.” by Alexandre Dumas.