Special Guest Blogger: Cindy Tobey

Cindy Tobey1

Hello! I’m Cindy Tobey, a member of the 2009 Creating Keepsakes Dream Team. I’m so excited to be this week’s guest blogger! In celebration of spring and the beautiful flowers that are blooming outside I’m going to share how I created the crepe paper flower on my layout.

CT-ready

Supplies: Cardstock: Bazzill Basics; Patterned paper: BoBunny (green dots), Cosmo Cricket (blue floral), Making Memories (green solid), Scenic Route (green circle); Journaling tag: Scenic Route; Paper frill: Doodlebug; Chipboard: We R Memory Keepers; Stickers: KI Memories; Ribbon: Cosmo Cricket (green stripe), Jenni Bowlin (crepe paper), SEI (green dot); Buttons: Fancy Pants Designs; Font: Nevison Casual downloaded from fonts.com; Other: beads, felt, thread.

To create this bloom I used Jenni Bowlin’s Crepe Paper Ribbon, Fancy Pants Designs buttons, and some seed beads.

CT-ready supplies

1. With a pencil, lightly draw a circle where you want the flower to be and at the size you want your flower. You can do this free hand or by tracing around something circular. I used a roll of masking tape as a template for my circle.

CT-ready circle

2. Apply adhesive around the outside of your circle. I used a permanent dry dots adhesive.

CT-ready adhesive

3. Add crepe paper ribbon, all the way around your circle tracing. You will need to make small folds in the ribbon as you go.

CT-ready crepe

4. Add three more circles of the ribbon. You can sketch a circle for each addition or just “eyeball it” based on the ribbon circle you’ve already completed.

CT-ready crepe flower

5. Place a dimensional glue dot into the center of each button. You can use liquid adhesive but the glue dots are much faster.

CT-ready glue

6. Press each button (with glue dot) into the seed beads. Fill in any empty spots with beads by hand. (The thick glue dots allow you to really push the beads down into the adhesive for better staying power.)

CT-ready beads

CT-ready buttons

7. Finally add the bead decorated buttons to your flower with glue dots.

I hope you’ve enjoyed learning how to make this flower and will give it a try! Thanks, and happy creating!

Cindy

For more creative ideas from Cindy, check out her work in 101 Expert Solutions for Scrapbooking and visit her happy blog!

This entry was posted in Guest Blogger and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Special Guest Blogger: Cindy Tobey

1. Suzy Plantamura says:

Cindy! This is such a creative idea!!! I just got some of that ribbon and now I know what to do with it! I also LOVE the beads on the button idea. You never cease to amaze me with your creativity!!! Suzy

2. Shannon says:

Wow, Cindy, this is a very cool idea — fresh yet vintage all rolled up into one! Thanks for sharing it — I can’t wait to give it a try.

3. Cindy, I love everything about this technique, from the beaded button flower center all the way down to the cute scalloped/stitched grass. Thanks for sharing this fun idea. I’m definitely going to give it a try! :)

Cheers!
    Megan

TGIFFF (Thank goodness it’s Free Font Friday!)

4. SMK says:

Wow, I LOVE the idea of dipping the buttons in the beads. So creative! :)

5. Shawn says:

Great blog post Cindy, awesome project!

6. Cynthia says:

Thanks for the tutorial, Cindy – love the technique – and the page!

7. Joli says:

That is the cutest flower ever!!!! I can’t wait to try that myself!

8. ohmygosh. that is so cute!!! :)

9. Toni says:

What a neat idea! I WILL try that on my next lay-out! I loved it!

10. Heather M. says:

Oooooh, that flower is awesome (well, the whole layout is really)! i love the idea of covering the button with beads! thanks for sharing, cindy!

11. Angie says:

Too cute! Love the beads!

12. Nicole says:

Soo cute. I have to try that flower it’s tooo cute. Great blog. Thanks

13. Natasha Peters says:

wow, that is the cutest flower i have ever seen!

14. Kim Watson says:

Thanks for the FAB tips Cindy! Your flower is so creative & fun, perfect for any summery page. Little missy in her shades & umbrella is darlin':o)

BTW! putting the adhesive straight onto the page for the petals is genius!! Stashed that one for sure :o)
    TFS!

15. Pingback: kids crafts grow up | Creative Craftess

16. Thomas says:

What did you think your life would be like when you were older?

17. linda lehman says:

Love this idea and won’t it be fun on a sun also