Hello, crafty memory keepers!
Mark your creative calendars—this coming Saturday, October 3rd is the fourth annual World Card Making Day (WCMD). This day, celebrating all things cards, kicks off the holiday card-making season.
After all, it’s never too early to begin working on those festive greetings. And our friends over at Paper Crafts are hosting an entire week of ideas and prizes to get you in the spirit.
Let’s start the WCMD party early, shall we? Here’s a holiday greeting to get you in that celebratory mood.
Frosted Flakes card by Megan Hoeppner. Supplies Cardstock, stamps and ink: Stampin’ Up!; Embossing powder: American Crafts; Ribbon: American Crafts, Making Memories and Stampin’ Up!; Gems: Doodlebug; Adhesive: Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L.
This card only requires a few strips of ribbon, some simple stamping, a little embossing, a few gems and a bit of cardstock for the base, making it a great card choice when it comes to designing in bulk.
Money-Saving Tip: When creating cards in bulk, it’s a good idea to use supplies that stretch, such as stamps and dies.
Here’s the same card in a different color palette.
Money-Saving Tip: Scraps are perfect for creating cards in bulk. If you run out of one color, as was the case with my ribbon bits, don’t be afraid to switch to another happy hue from your stash.
Design Tip: Adhere the stamped images with dimensional adhesive for added interest.
JOIN THE FUN
Now, it’s time to turn on your favorite holiday music, pour yourself a cup of cheer, and get ready to celebrate WCMD 2009! Here are a few ways you can join the celebration:
- Visit the WCMD website. It’s brimming with card ideas from your favorite scrapbooking manufacturers, a list of stores around the world participating in WCMD events and ideas for hosting your own WCMD parties.
- Join the “Countdown to WCMD” blog bonanza, where you’ll find a huge assortment of holiday cards on various designers’ blogs. The fun starts today and runs through Oct. 2. Find participating blogs here.
- Save some money. In honor of this big day, we’re offering 25% off of any one item in our online store. For the coupon code, visit any of the participating “Countdown to WCMD” blogs.
- Go on a worldwide creative tour with Paper Crafts creative editor, Cath Edvalson. She is featuring scrapbooking manufacturers from all over the globe on her Moxie Fab World blog. And, we’re willing to bet you’ll find an awesome giveaway or two while you’re there.
- Get inspired by this week’s guest blogger. Maren Benedict, Paper Crafts Go-To Gal, will be visiting our blog to share her cool card ideas this Friday.
- Feeling lucky? Excellent! Enter your favorite holiday card in the WCMD card contest. You could be one of 20 winners to receive an amazing card-making prize package (below) valued at more than $185! Visit the WCMD website to participate in the contest.
CREATE WITH ME
Speaking of holiday card-making, I’d love to have you join me in the card classes I’m teaching for the University of Utah this fall.
Creative Holiday Update Letters: Turn that basic form letter into a memorable annual update your friends and family will adore.
Handmade Cards & Gift Wrap: Learn new techniques and walk away with tons of card and gift-wrap ideas to share this season. Plus, you’ll receive a grand assortment of products from scrapbooking manufacturers you know and love.
Feeling festive? We’d love to hear how you plan on celebrating WCMD ’09. Leave us a comment and let us know what you’re up to. Whatever it is, we hope your day is merry and bright!
Megan Hoeppner, Creative Editor
P.S. Be sure to check the Giveaways tab at the top of the page to discover the winners of last week’s blog contests!