Fun Distressing Paper Techniques for Scrapbooking

Hey there! If you’re a fan of distressing elements on your scrapbook layouts, be sure to check out our “Dare to Distress” article in the new

Scrapbooking Tips & Tricks: Paper special issue, where we teach you three cool distressing techniques inspired by current fashion and home décor trends.

Want even more ideas for distressing your scrapbook layouts? Here are my top five picks for additional distressed looks in this issue:

1. Inked edges. This classic distressing technique is so fun and easy. Notice how Kim Watson uses it to create the look of vintage Polaroid frames on her layout. See page 58 for step-by-step instructions.

“Tailor Made” by Kim Watson, as seen in “Scrapbooking Tips & Tricks: Paper” by Creating Keepsakes.

2. Torn edges. Layer roughly-torn patterned papers with border-punched cardstock to create a cool new look like Piradee Talvanna did on her layout on page 51.

“The Moments” by Piradee Talvanna, as seen in “Scrapbooking Tips & Tricks: Paper” by Creating Keepsakes.

3. Painted background. The fun twist of this distressing technique is how soft and pretty it can look on a scrapbook page. Plus, as you can see here on Elizabeth Kartchner’s layout on page 37, it’s a great way to make journaling legible on patterned paper.

"Today" by Elizabeth Kartchner, as seen in "Scrapbooking Tips & Tricks: Paper" by Creating Keepsakes.

4. Spray paint. Take the popular spray ink look to the next level with spray paint. Follow Wendy Sue Anderson’s example on page 69 and apply it over laser-cut paper to create a beautiful and unique background design.

“My Four Favorite People” by Wendy Sue Anderson, as seen in “Scrapbooking Tips & Tricks: Paper” by Creating Keepsakes.

5. Digital elements. Don’t want to get your hands dirty, but still want the look? Get it with digital elements that mimic paint splatters, faded text, and more like Anna Aspnes did on her layout, featured on page 90.

“Spin” by Anna Aspnes, as seen in “Scrapbooking Tips & Tricks: Paper” by Creating Keepsakes.

Now it’s your turn to play! Leave us a comment and tell us your favorite distressing technique. And, while you’re at it, share with us what techniques you want to learn more about here on our blog.

–Lori Fairbanks, editor

P.S. We’re giving away a free kit for the live webshow event hosted by House of 3 and Pink Paislee. Head over to our Facebook page and leave a comment on our giveaway post by 3:00 p.m. MST on May 26th, 2010 to win. Be sure your comment is on our Facebook page to be entered!

This entry was posted in General Inspiration, Hot Trends, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Fun Distressing Paper Techniques for Scrapbooking

1. Jenny McGee says:

My favorite distressing technique is inking around the edges. I do it a lot.

2. charlene says:

These are great techniques! I love inking and then roughing up edges to distress, but crumpling paper to make flowers is fun too. I’d like to see some techniques with die cut machines.

3. {vicki} says:

I like to ink the edges of photos and papers.—Gonna give “painting on patterned paper” a try.

4. Rebecca says:

The distressing technique I use most often is to ink the edges. I would like to see techniques to use on ribbon or with ribbon.

5. Janet says:

Sanding is my favorite way to distress!

6. Denise C. says:

I like tearing the edges and then inking them. I would love to see some ways to use Tim Holtz projects. Especially his distressing stuff.

7. carol w says:

I’m a huge fan of Distress Inks and water. I like to apply multiple colors of ink with a piece of Cut ‘N Dry foam and then use a spritzer bottle to spray water onto the item. It runs or drips and makes the coolest effects.

8. Sandy P. says:

My favorite distressing technique is inking. Whether it’s straight to the paper or using a make-up sponge.

I just finished an altered book for my son. He volunteered in Montana to dig for dinosaur bones. Inking in a sand colored ink really “stressed” the amount of dirt that he dug through and wore the whole month. It was an opportunity of a lifetime for him and I was honored to make him a book he can treasure for a lifetime.

9. abbeyinOK says:

I most often just ink the edges or wrinkle/sand coredinations cardstock. I think I need to learn more about ink/painting.

10. Marla H. says:

My favorite distressing is either sanding or inking the edges of my projects. I love any kinds of technique tutorial and especially videos that show how to do things.

11. hannie says:

I love the inking and paper tearing kind of distressing, especially with the distressing tool.

12. brenda says:

I love inking the edges of paper and photos!

13. Elissa says:

I love all these techniques. They will look good for my family history photos.