Weekly Warm-Up: Scrapbook Photos from Your Phone

How many times have you been out and about and found yourself thinking, “Oh, I wish I had my camera right now“? Thanks to camera phones, this scenario probably happens a lot less these days. And don’t overlook the scrap potential behind these phone shots. The resolution on most newer phones is actually pretty decent, and you’re more apt to capture your day-to-day moments on your phone, which will make for interesting and entertaining layouts. To show you what I mean, I took my phone around the office today and snapped a few pics. Keep in mind that this was a very last-minute idea, which means we didn’t really have time to clean up for you, our e-company.

Photo caption reads: “A few of the Creating Keepsakes editors at work. Please pardon our less-than-tidy office space.”

Photo caption reads: “A look inside the Creating Keepsakes office. The magazines on the shelf are all for online prizes–it pays to be our e-friends (follow our blog, Facebook page, and especially Club CK for chances to win); then you have the CK sign, which used to hang in our lobby and is currently in transit to its new location; next, you’ll find an attractive vampire . . . oh, and a wall of amazing magazine covers from issues past; and to conclude this tour, you’ll see one of our inspiration boards, complete with some inspiring finds! Thus concludes this look inside the CK office.”

Sure, these shots may not be grade-A quality, but they get the job done, and I think they’d look mighty fine on a page.

You know when the phone-photos approach really comes in handy? When you’re on vacation. Not wanting to lug my big camera around on a recent trip to Las Vegas, I kept my phone very busy snapping even the silliest of things (like me standing in line—entertaining, I know). While my pictures are far from super duper, I actually love the way they turned out. I was left with a moment-by-moment look at my fun trip, which I used to create this page. In addition to the photos, I included the photo captions I used when I uploaded these images to my Facebook account.

“A Tweet Trip” by Megan Hoeppner, as seen in the July/August 2010 issue of Creating Keepsakes magazine, page 67

With more than 600 photos on my phone at the moment, I have more than enough to go around. With that in mind, I also created this photo-album scrapbook, which I call my iThoughts book. In it, I’ve added pictures I’ve snapped with my phone and uploaded to Facebook.

“iThoughts Book” by Megan Hoeppner, as seen in the July/August 2010 issue of Creating Keepsakes magazine page 53

In addition to the photos, I included printouts of some of the comments Facebook users have left about the photos, which I tucked behind the images. Using comments is a quick way to add creative journaling to your projects.

Let your social media channels assist you in your scrapbooking. The photos you share and comments you receive are perfect pieces of your story that shouldn’t be overlooked when it comes time to document, even if it’s as simple as tucking them in a photo album.

What photos are in your phone right now, just waiting to be scrapped? Take a minute and flip through your photos. I bet you’ll find some awesome options. If you do, we hope you’ll take a minute to share a short description of your finds in the comments section of this post. We’d love to read all about your next phone-photos scrapping adventure!

Cheers!
Megan Hoeppner, creative editor

This entry was posted in General Inspiration, weekly warm up and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Weekly Warm-Up: Scrapbook Photos from Your Phone

1. Tabitha C says:

LOVE the Twilight picture! :) And how awesome that you got to meet the Old Man! I’d prefer Rick but that’s just cause he seems friendlier. Thanks for the great idea on scrapping cell phone photos – I’ll be trying this out soon. Hopefully they’ll look decent when I print them out – fingers crossed!

2. {vicki} says:

I always keep a point and shoot camera in my purse so I have only use my phone a couple of times—the problem I have with using my phone is I don’t know how to print them out—maybe you could do a tutorial or video on that.

3. Kim Watson says:

Hello sweet ladies….great to see where you work your magic!! Love the photo!

And Megan I am so pleased you showcased your mini book using photos from your iphone today. I was reading this very article in bed on Sat night July/August 2010 issue of Creating Keepsakes & thinking…”Now this is a seriously cute idea!”, and I am going to shamelessly lift it… :o ) :o )

4. charlene says:

love the album! Couldn’t be cuter…and my daughter uses the phone to take pics of at the store of books she wants to get someday.

5. Natalie says:

I LOVE that idea to have pull-downs with the facebook comments! I don’t usually take photos with my phone, because I carry my point-and-shoot digital camera everywhere I go, but I try and post some random photos on Facebook. Including the comments in a layout or minialbum is such a great idea! Definitely bookmarking this one!

6. Nita says:

Mostly, I have photos of my sons. I love that I can snap a picture of those fleeting moments, like when my baby all of a sudden finally found his thumb and started sucking it at the store. Going through my photos I did find some my 4 year old snuck in without me knowing. Cute, though i did have to delete some that are not for public at any time.

One question, how do you print out your photos?

7. Christy Strickler says:

I have used my phone for a few layouts…but only use it when my point and shoot is not in my purse. I have a balckberry but the qaulity is still not as good as my camera. When i do use photos from my phone, i find I need to print them in Black and white for better resolution.

8. Mou says:

CUTE !!! Love the pull-out comment element :)

9. SandyP says:

I have only a couple pics on my phone. One is of my nephew when he was the Easter Bunny at our mall a couple of years ago taken with my youngest son and another of a cloud my son took. It looked like a German Shepard. I don’t take many pics. I don’t have texting and can’t figure out how to upload them to my computer.

10. Andrea Johnson says:

What great ideas! My kids use their phone cams all the time — I’ve used some of their pics along with my regular camera pics for various layouts — but how fun to have a lo of their very own! Love the ideas!!!

11. cindy tobey says:

Brilliant ideas Megan! Thanks for sharing the office pics. So fun to see you girls in the office!

12. Nitasha says:

In a cruch I will use my camera phone, and the pics are usually pretty decent. I just love your I-Phone Book (pardon the pun–but I think that will the title of mine- LOL) Thank you for another fab idea!

13. I love this idea… I have scrapped pictures that I have taken with my cell phone camera…
    PS. I just blogged about this iThoughts project today, I was thrilled to see my little face/comment right there ;)

14. MelanieJ says:

I have a couple of photos on my phone that need to be scrapped. The other day my boys and I went on an impromtu picnic at the park. I snapped a few photos there. Also, there are a couple of pics from our trip to Florida I snapped when I didn’t have my camera with me. Thanks for the reminder :)

15. Jackie says:

I have been very thankful for cell phone pics. My sister and I live in different states and she just gave birth to twin boys last month. She has a digital camera and a computer, but her computer stopped working a couple months ago. Throughout her pregnancy and the boys first month she has been able to send me pics from her phone to my phone and then I have been able to share the pics on Facebook for the rest of our family to see. I have already printed out a few and they turned out great!

16. Sofia Singh says:

camera phones are very convenient coz they can take picture and calls at the same time;”`

17. Melatonin  says:

camera phones are very popular coz everyon likes to take pictures.:*

18. well, camera phones always come in handy whenever there are important events and parties ‘

19. WordPress Plugin CRANKS out authority backlinks and FORCES published posts to page 1 of google in under 18 minutes http://bit.ly/nkd39U