Weekly Warm-Up: Tissue-Paper Projects

Look closely at the stunning scrapbook page Cindy Tobey created for the cover of the July/August 2010 issue of Creating Keepsakes. Do you notice anything interesting about the polka-dot wave on her layout?

That’s right, she cut it from tissue paper! This fun texture is a trend popping up all over the world of scrapbooking, and it’s easy to see why. It brings a unique texture to scrapbook pages, it’s super affordable, and it’s versatile. In fact, last month the CK team noticed several layouts at the Craft & Hobby Association trade show that were also created with this playful medium, which is a good indicator that more tissue-paper projects are sure to greet the scrapbooking world in the months to come. Let’s get a jump on this trend and explore a few tissue-paper creations you can try on your layouts.

I created clouds from tissue paper for our March/April 2010 issue by first punching the tissue paper with an oval-scallop punch several times (one for each cloud). I then gathered each punched piece in the center and stitched it to create a puffy look. Since tissue paper is thin, you can fold it and punch several shapes at a time.

Note: When punching thinner material such as tissue paper, you’ll want to make sure your punch is nice and sharp to ensure¬† a clean cut.

Scrapbooker Steph Devlin was ahead of the curve when she used tissue paper to create the flower on this stunning layout for our July 2009 issue.

To create this scrapbooking accent, Steph cut, crumpled,¬†and layered several circles from tissue paper and adhered them together with a button. With the flower shape in place, she then used spray ink to color her bloom this delicious shade of pink. For a cleaner option that’s also a time-saver, consider making your flowers from predesigned tissue-paper patterns.

With tissue paper being the talk of the creative town, we’re excited to see what else scrapbookers do with it. Do you have any ideas in mind of how you want to use it? If so, we hope you’ll take a minute to share them by leaving and comment below and inspiring us with your creativity. Let the tissue times begin!

Cheers!
Megan Hoeppner, creative editor

This entry was posted in General Inspiration, Hot Trends, Technique, weekly warm up and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Weekly Warm-Up: Tissue-Paper Projects

1. c@rol w says:

I just wanted to mention that I’ve had great success when punching thin papers by simply putting an additional piece of copy paper under the thin piece. It gives support and allows your punch to be more effective.

Happy Monday!

2. Linda says:

I think tissue paper would be a great medium to accent clothing in an altered picture. It would be wonderful as the bottom of the dress in a layout of a little girl (and I have the perfect picture to test drive this technique!!!)

3. Mou says:

Cute pages! Nice tip about punching tissue paper.
    I once used crepe paper to make a tutu for a ballerina page :)

4. Valerie R. says:

Love it !! I never would hav ethought to use tissue paper….thanks for the inspiration !!

5. Smitha Katti says:

I love the tissue clouds.. But the flowers give me great ideas for my next layout.. :D

6. Kim Watson says:

Gorgeous pages gals! I love the versatility of tissue paper too. These ideas are great inspiration, TFS!!

7. Great ideas and inspiration! I linked to your post in today’s daily scrapbook news article at http://exm.nr/baGxAF :)

8. Thanks for the amazing tip, Carol. You’ve made my life much easier. :)

Cheers!
    Megan

9. Amanda says:

I think this is a great idea, and just in time for some of my projects. I recently got married and i saved all my tissue paper and bags from the parties and wedding to use somehow in my scrapbook. Thanks for the post, what an inspiration!!

10. charlene says:

I folded it and glued it under the edge on a card once–kinda like ribbon. But I love the flower here!

11. charlene says:

12. Scrapycandy says:

Wetting tissue paper with wet glue and then placing it onto cardstock in a wrinkled manner, provides some really cool texture which can be painted or inked or whatever!

13. Jo says:

You can use tissue paper, cardstock, glue, paint & metallic rub ons to create a faux leather too.

14. jennifer hamilton says:

I am so going to try this! Thanks for the inspiration!!

15. Hinesbaby says:

I love the tissue flowers best! Great ideas with the add-on shapes=)

16. Emily says:

Is tissue paper acid/lignin free?

17. patrice basham says:

Where do you get acid free tissue paper?

18. Anne says:

I thought tissue paper bled color when moistened. Safe for scrapbooking?

19. LCJinRoslyn PA says:

Does anyone answer questions when they are left in comments sections? I, too, wonder about safety – both from bleeding inks and from long-term acidity…