October 2010 Issue: An Insider’s Look

Hey there! Have you picked up the latest issue of Creating Keepsakes? It’s available now, and in addition to featuring fabulous scrapbooking ideas for all things October, this is our annual Top 10 issue. We hope you’ll love the delightful and spooky layouts, must-try ideas, and fun techniques we’ve gathered for you in this issue! Visit our website for sneak previews or to order your copy.

Here are some behind-the-scenes tidbits about this issue:

• Senior editor Kim Jackson set up a blind judging panel for the kit clubs we reviewed in the “Top 10 Editors’ Picks” article on page 65. Among the criteria for judging were the creativity of the kits’ product mixes, the robustness of their online communities, and the membership options available. She says, “No one except me knew which kit came from which club until weeks afterward! I must have been a secret agent in another life (though definitely not a ninja…).”

Maggie Holmes created this cute article opener for us. Thanks, Maggie!

• The October 2009 issue had just come out when managing editor Lara Penrod was interviewing for her job—it was the issue that she referenced through her entire interview process. So Oct. 2010 is a milestone issue for her. Lara, we’re glad you’re here!
  • What’s your favorite technique in this issue? Online senior editor Brittany Beattie adores the photo-frame technique Lisa Truesdell used on her “Pumpkins” layout from page 11. Brittany says, “The idea of matting a photo on an envelope is so clever, and the idea to combine a small envelope with a stitched border around the rest of the picture is genius. This is one idea I definitely need to try!”

Pumpkins by Lisa Truesdell, as seen in the October 2010 issue of Creating Keepsakes.

• Associate editor Dorathy Gilchrist enjoyed the spooky scrapbooking stories you sent us for this issue’s Scrappetizers column on page 12. She’s thrilled to announce that we’ll be sharing more of them on the Club CK blog the week of Halloween.
  • “The ‘Storytelling: Journaling is Fun Again’ article was so much fun to write!” says Lara Penrod. “When the layouts came in, they were just so fabulous. You could tell that the contributors really had fun with their assignments.” Check out this article on page 75 for journaling ideas and fantastic layouts like this one from Suzy Plantamura.

Princess Imposter by Suzy Plantamura, as seen in the October 2010 issue of Creating Keepsakes.

• Would you like to see your scrapbook layouts published in Creating Keepsakes? We would! See page 87 of this month’s issue for 10 tips to help you out. Also be sure to click the “Submit” button at the top of our blog to find out what layout themes we’re looking for. Check back regularly—we update the submission calls for each issue.
  • Get 10 terrific digital solutions for common scrapbooking problems in Tiffany Tillman’s “10 Easy Digital Solutions” article on page 91. Whether you need a quick fix for a blemish on a photo, want to scrapbook a layout in a hurry, or need to know how to archive your massive digital photo library, this article is a great resource.

What was your favorite layout, idea, or article from this issue? Leave us a comment—we love hearing about what you like to see in the magazine!

—Lori Fairbanks, editor

This entry was posted in Insider's Look, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to October 2010 Issue: An Insider’s Look

1. Lesley F says:

I like the idea of matting on an envelope and look forward to trying it. Cool idea!!

2. barbara lassiter says:

This technique (matting with an envelope) would be cute used on a card,also. Great idea!!!!

3. jen shears says:

The enveloped matted pic is ingenious!!! LOVE it!

4. Shawn Wenrich says:

I absolutely love Jennifer McGuire’s chalking tips and ideas. She is truly the article I look for every issue.

5. heather garl says:

I loved seeing my first layout in publication! I’ve been showing EVERYONE! And my 4 year old loves to find her picture!
    Page 13 is my favorite! lol
    Thanks Creating Keepsakes!

6. Sav O'G says:

Anything Jennifer McGuire—LOVE IT! LOVE everything in this mag–I’m always inspired!

7. Fifi-T says:

The pumpkin layout jumped out at me, I loved how it handled kids in a very classy grown up layout

8. Samantha says:

fave article was definitely the comparisons…MORE, please.

9. christy a says:

The pumpkin layout is so simple, yet wonderful!

10. Heather I. says:

Yes, Lisa Truesdell’s “Pumpkins” layout was in my tippy top 10 from this issue!! I just love it!!

11. {vicki} says:

LOve the pumpkin l/o—-
    it’s one of my favorite things about fall!

12. Anja says:

the idea to matt on an envelope was great!

13. My favorite LO is “At the Pumpkin Patch” on page 34. I love that it uses so many photos, love the color palette, and the sweet title! I have lots of other pages that I dog-eared to scrap-lift– this was a great month for inspiration!

14. Bonnie Isabelle says:

I liked the chalking tips but that envelope as a mat will be a go to for me as well I think

15. gloria zeller says:

I love the envelope thing… too cute! I just cannot wrap my head around a 12 X 12 page with just one pic.

16. Jingle says:

I thought it was funny that you mentioned a couple of great techniques on that Pumpkins layout, and the one that really stood out to me was an entirely different one! LOL! I love the masked partial page misting! That is fabulous!!!! I want to give that a shot for sure!

17. Amy says:

definitely liked the tip about the two color blogs. I really want to check them out!

18. I don’t have my copy in fron tof me right now, so i can’t recall who created it. But i loved the “I’m sensing” lo and the 10 things i love about you with the doodley numbers. Love em

19. Jen H says:

I like Jennifer’s article about using chalk.

20. Janet says:

Jennifer’s chalk articles was really great! She always makes the reader think outside the box! The entire issue was just so fun and inspiring-keep up the good work CK!