Hey there! Have you picked up the latest issue of Creating Keepsakes? It’s available now, and in addition to featuring fabulous scrapbooking ideas for all things October, this is our annual Top 10 issue. We hope you’ll love the delightful and spooky layouts, must-try ideas, and fun techniques we’ve gathered for you in this issue! Visit our website for sneak previews or to order your copy.
Here are some behind-the-scenes tidbits about this issue:
- Senior editor Kim Jackson set up a blind judging panel for the kit clubs we reviewed in the “Top 10 Editors’ Picks” article on page 65. Among the criteria for judging were the creativity of the kits’ product mixes, the robustness of their online communities, and the membership options available. She says, “No one except me knew which kit came from which club until weeks afterward! I must have been a secret agent in another life (though definitely not a ninja…).”
Maggie Holmes created this cute article opener for us. Thanks, Maggie!
- The October 2009 issue had just come out when managing editor Lara Penrod was interviewing for her job—it was the issue that she referenced through her entire interview process. So Oct. 2010 is a milestone issue for her. Lara, we’re glad you’re here!
- What’s your favorite technique in this issue? Online senior editor Brittany Beattie adores the photo-frame technique Lisa Truesdell used on her “Pumpkins” layout from page 11. Brittany says, “The idea of matting a photo on an envelope is so clever, and the idea to combine a small envelope with a stitched border around the rest of the picture is genius. This is one idea I definitely need to try!”
- Associate editor Dorathy Gilchrist enjoyed the spooky scrapbooking stories you sent us for this issue’s Scrappetizers column on page 12. She’s thrilled to announce that we’ll be sharing more of them on the Club CK blog the week of Halloween.
- “The ‘Storytelling: Journaling is Fun Again’ article was so much fun to write!” says Lara Penrod. “When the layouts came in, they were just so fabulous. You could tell that the contributors really had fun with their assignments.” Check out this article on page 75 for journaling ideas and fantastic layouts like this one from Suzy Plantamura.
- Would you like to see your scrapbook layouts published in Creating Keepsakes? We would! See page 87 of this month’s issue for 10 tips to help you out. Also be sure to click the “Submit” button at the top of our blog to find out what layout themes we’re looking for. Check back regularly—we update the submission calls for each issue.
- Get 10 terrific digital solutions for common scrapbooking problems in Tiffany Tillman’s “10 Easy Digital Solutions” article on page 91. Whether you need a quick fix for a blemish on a photo, want to scrapbook a layout in a hurry, or need to know how to archive your massive digital photo library, this article is a great resource.
- Win a frighteningly fun prize package full of scrapbooking supplies from Bazzill Basics Paper, Clearsnap, Cosmo Cricket, Fiskars Americas, Hambly Screen Prints, Hero Arts, GCD Studios, Pink Paislee, Making Memories, Martha Stewart Crafts, and Maya Road. For more information about the Pretty Spooky Sweepstakes, to see official rules, and to enter to win, visit creatingkeepsakes.com. Hurry, contest ends October 31, 2010.
What was your favorite layout, idea, or article from this issue? Leave us a comment—we love hearing about what you like to see in the magazine!
—Lori Fairbanks, editor