Hi, this is Maggie Holmes. I am excited to be here today as a guest blogger and I would love to share some newborn photography tips with you!
The cover of the March/April issue of Creating Keepsakes magazine features a photo of my sweet little Elizabeth Kate, who is actually 9 months old now already. Seeing how quickly they grow sure makes me thankful for these precious images. Those first few months are just so fleeting!
So, how do you get a shot of your newborn baby that looks like this? I will admit that taking photographs of babies can definitely be challenging, although I also find that it is one of my favorite types of photo shoots as well!
Here are a few tips for you:
- Try to take some pictures of the baby within the first few days. The older they get, the more awake they are, and the less willing to let you put them in these cute little poses.
- Use a beanbag. You need something soft and moldable to be able to position the baby like this. Here I draped a white blanket over a beanbag and then positioned my baby on it.
- Work while baby is in a deep sleep. This helps because then they will not wake up every time you adjust them. Also, if they do wake up a little, I like to position them and then kind of hold them in place there until they fall back to sleep.
- Use natural light. I took this photo using natural light right in my home. Find a large window with lots of pretty light and then set everything up right there near it. Make sure the light isn’t too harsh or strong. If it is, move your set-up back away from the window more or use some sheer curtains or a sheet in front of the window to diffuse the light.
- Snap quickly. Sometimes you only have a few
seconds to get the shot before they start wiggling or waking up.
Would you like to learn more photography tricks? I teach online photography classes through my new website, Maggie Holmes Design. You can learn to shoot like a pro in just a few short weeks! Not only do I teach you everything you need to know to get great photographs from your camera, but I also gives you my tried and true tips and tricks. My classes come highly recommended from my past students. Visit my site to learn more about both my Photography 101 and Advanced Photography classes.
I’m offering a special discount to CK readers for a limited time only. Register now for one of my upcoming classes and receive $50 off with the coupon code CKBLOG! Offer expires March 20, 2012. Must use promo code at checkout. Cannot be used on previous purchases. Refunds will not be given for codes not entered at checkout.
Good luck! I hope you have fun capturing beautiful portraits of newborns.
—Maggie Holmes, Dream Team member