Trend Talk with Stacy Cohen: Scrapbooking with Doilies

Do you know what time it is? It’s trend time! Today I’m delighted to have a trendy chat with CK Dream Team designer Stacy Cohen. This gal’s elegant taste and lovely style are sure to be reflected in her trend selection—doilies! Let’s see what she has to say.

Doilies seem to be popping up everywhere lately . . . from home décor to clothing to crafts. It’s the feminine and elegant look of doilies that make them my favorite trend right now.

Paper doilies like these (sugarcraft.com) can be found at craft stores, cooking stores, and sometimes the baking aisle at the supermarket.  If you’re looking for crocheted doilies, try searching linen stores, thrift stores, flea markets, estate sales, or Ebay.  I even found a multi-pack of lovely crocheted doilies at my local dollar store!

Here’s a wonderful idea by Crafts by Amanda that turns plain jars into beautiful home décor items using doilies.

They can be displayed “as is” or with glowing tea lights inside.

Sew a variety of doilies together end-to-end to create a stunning table runner like this one from Under the Sycamore.

Martha Stewart Crafts shows us that a simple paper doily can give wrapped packages a touch of panache.

Doilies have been making the rounds in the fashion world lately.  I love the idea of adorning clothing with doilies to create elegant new pieces like the ones featured on Lindsay, etc.  I have some ideas swirling around in my head for how I might “renovate” some of my old t-shirts!

Who says that doilies need to be white?  These colorful hanging doilies by Lisa Storms for Ucreate were dyed with food coloring.

I’ve gone a bit “doily crazy” lately and I’ve been using doilies on all my scrapbook pages. Here’s a layout I created using doilies that I cut at home using my favorite doily die, made by My Favorite Things.

You Shine scrapbook layout by Stacy Cohen for Creating Keepsakes magazine

I hope this post has inspired you to break out some doilies and get crafting!

Stacy, you’re a doily doll! You bet this has us excited to create! Thanks for stopping by and sharing all of your darling doily ideas.

Cheers!
Megan Hoeppner, creative editor, and Stacy Cohen, CK Dream Team designer

Stacy Cohen

This entry was posted in Hot Trends and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Trend Talk with Stacy Cohen: Scrapbooking with Doilies

1. Mou says:

LOVE doilies. Great trend talk :)

2. charlene says:

so cute–love the dyed balls of doilies!

3. Kim Thomas says:

I love, love, love doilies! I can’t seem to get enough of them either. Thank you for the inspiration. :)

4. Linda Barber says:

Love the layout! I’m also eyeing that doily table runner. Maybe we need to make one ourselves?

5. Marilyn Nimmo says:

WOW – love all the doily goodness!

6. Bev Gardner says:

For my scrapbooking pages, I want to be assured that all is acid free and lignin free. Are doilies?

7. Stacy Cohen says:

I’m glad you all enjoyed the doily inspiration photos!

Bev, I’m guessing that most of the paper “cake” doilies sold in stores are not acid and lignin free. But you might be able to alleviate the problem by spraying them with an archival spray.

I’m conscious of this issue too, so I cut my doilies from acid/lignin free cardstock using my die-cutting machine and the doily die. There are some scrapbook manufacturers that make doily embellishments for scrapbooking (Martha Stewart and Maya Road come to mind), so those might be okay.

Don’t quote me on this, but I think the crocheted cotton doilies are lignin and acid free. My understanding is that plain cotton (thread, string, fabric, etc.) is archival safe.

If anyone else has any knowledge or suggestions about the acid/lignin free issue of doilies, please chime in! :)

8. Beth W says:

Must have doilies and lots of them right now-this is super inspiration!

9. Pingback: Цікаве за тиждень + Новини у світі скрапу. Випуск #120 | Зроби Сам(А) - тільки саморобне. Листівки, вишивки, орігамі, скрапбукінг.

10. Beth Brekke says:

Have used doilies in my scrapbooks for about 5 years. Just this weekend I used a square (paper) one are a photo mat, cutting one point to layer over the photo and adjust to the size I wanted. My pH testing pen says they are OK. Love the table runner idea!!

11. British military and diplomatic failure , so that domestic opposition strengthened the government’s attacks。October 23, 2013, the British royal family expert Anne。I am with Bristol decade , the greatest feeling is to find his own life。However , I probably know why they do not leave。I have been to many places in this decade to work to earn a living , but the family never left the city.。Generally believed that this index between 18.5 and 24.9 as normal, less than 18.5 as underweight , overweight between 25 to 29.9 , the index reached or over 30 as obese。Bank of England said , including the purchasing managers’ index and the British Chamber of Commerce survey and other leading economic indicators continued to improve in the second half recovery in the UK economy will maintain state。I talk about the most disgusting comparison Britain has no intention of doing a warm and friendly cultural and historical visits by angels

12. Hi! I am about to begin my own website and was wondering if you know where the best place to buy a website url is? I am not even sure if that’s what its called? (I’m new to this) I’m referring to “%BLOGURL%”. How do I go about acquiring one of these for the website I’m building? Thankyou
    air jordan retro 11 http://birthprep.com/air_jordan_retro.htm

13. Exploring delicious.com I noticed your web site bookmarked as: %BLOGTITLE%. Now i’m assuming you book-marked it yourself and wanted to ask if social book-marking gets you a ton of targeted visitors? I’ve been considering doing some bookmarking for a few of my sites but wasn’t certain if it would generate any positive results. Appreciate it.
    Air Jordan Flight 45 http://www.cardinalwingsaviation.com/air_jordan_chaussures.asp?id=45