Unconventional Scrapbooking: Using a SMASH Book as a Project Planner

Hi, I’m Nancy Nally from Scrapbook Update, here to talk about an unconventional use for one of today’s hottest products: SMASH books.

Spring seems to put us all in the mood for cleaning and sprucing up our homes. That’s even true for me here in Florida, where we don’t even have anything that most of the country would recognize as spring.

At our house, redecorating means IKEA. We are slowly making over most of the house in the IKEA look and style. But it was hard to keep track of all of our ideas and plans…until I got the idea to keep them in a K&Company SMASH book!

Using one as a fairly structured project organizer is an unusual way to use a SMASH journal, but it’s a fun and useful way to keep all my decorating plans for the house in one place—and way nicer to look at than the typical project organizer.

I started out by decorating the cover a bit. I kept it simple so that it would be durable for carrying on trips to IKEA, since I like to bring it along and take notes in it.

"IKEA SMASH book (front cover)" by Nancy Nally

IKEA SMASH Book (front cover) by Nancy NallySupplies: Album: K&Company; Die: Sizzix; Canvas and markers: Ranger Industries; Ink: Ranger Industries and Tsukineko; Stamps: Hero Arts, Stampin’ Up!, and Technique Tuesday.

Just for fun, I created a title page that opens my journal with the same bright, simple aesthetic that IKEA is known for. It sets the tone for my journal.

IKEA SMASH Book (title page) by Nancy Nally.

IKEA SMASH Book (title page) by Nancy Nally. Supplies: Stickers: Pebbles and October Afternoon; Stamp: Hero Arts; Ink, markers, embossing powder: Ranger Industries.

I’m dividing my inspiration journal into sections, one for each room we want to work on, using the SMASH Fabric Tabs. At the start of each room’s section I have a two-page spread I use to describe the project’s goals and basic elements.

IKEA SMASH Book (section page) by Nancy Nally.

After the section pages, the content gets more random—just bits and pieces of inspiration and ideas I’ve grabbed from the IKEA website or catalog or store, along with notes about prices and ways to make it work for us.

IKEA SMASH Book (bedroom page) by Nancy Nally

IKEA SMASH Book (office page) by Nancy Nally

Supplies: Tape: Bella Blvd, K&Company, and Pink Paislee; Labelmaker: Brother.

I use my labelmaker to make easy-to-see, at-a-glance labels that show what the purpose of that page is. Tape provides a decorative element as well as extra adhesive for the inspiration photos.

Using a SMASH book for my home decor project planner lets me feel free to follow inspiration and yet keeps my ideas organized at the same time.

At Scrapbook Update we bring you the news about the industry and its trends but we also enjoy putting our own spin on them and thinking outside the box with projects like this. Do you have a project that is just waiting to be SMASHed?

—Nancy Nally, Scrapbook Update

This entry was posted in General Inspiration, Guest Blogger, Product and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Unconventional Scrapbooking: Using a SMASH Book as a Project Planner

1. Sheri K says:

Love this idea–I have plans to do some “re-arranging” of rooms, moving things around, we need new carpet and paint–lots to do! This would be a great way to organize all those thoughts and ideas–in one easy to carry around place! Thanks for the idea.

2. Stephanie Rowlands says:

This is the perfect idea for keeping and organizing those ideas I want to incorporate in the gardening of my yard. Drastic changes are in the near future for the front yard and this will hopefully help me bring all those ideas into one working idea and turn the front yard into a showplace. Plus I’ll have the extra bonus of a keepsake that can still mark the growth over the years.

3. Suz Gray says:

great idea Nancy

4. Trisha H says:

Great ideas, Nancy! Thanks for sharing them.

5. Great idea…wonder if it would work for a individual journal for my two granddaughters living in Korea. Keeping track of their life and adventures there for the next 2 years.

6. Ana Smith says:

different but good use of a smash book. love it!

7. Rhonda Miller says:

What a great idea for using your Smash book. Love it.

8. Pingback: Check Out My Ikea Smash Book At CK Blog!

9. Renee J. says:

Nancy, I love the creative way you used your Smash book!! Thanks for sharing!!

10. What a great idea! I love what you’ve done- a SMASH book makes a perfect place to store inspiration.

11. Diane says:

Great idea! I just might use mine for my weight loss journey!

12. Tricia says:

What a fun idea! I can see so many applications for this.

13. Hope says:

what a great idea!!

14. Jolynn Kress says:

Love this idea. I’m about to do a backyard reno and was thinking of ways to keep track of everything.

15. KimberlyB says:

Wow, I have been waiting to try a Smash Book and I think this is the perfect idea for one…slowly decorating my new house, room by room and this would be a great way to keep up with the different ideas I come across, thank you so much for the light bulb moment!

16. Gab says:

This is just fantastic Nancy. TFS!

17. Andie says:

I used my first Smash book to hold my examples from an online card class with Tim Holtz. Super perfect for capturing his instructions and my notes about my discoveries during class. If you haven’t seen itcheck out http://www.onlinecardclasses.com. Although the live portion is done, you can view all class content and make your own Smash book of samples!

18. Fran says:

Vert smart and cute!

19. Pingback: Weekly Warm Up: Make a Mini Book | Creating Keepsakes Blog

20. I’ve always had in mind to do a “smash book” about all the homes I’ve lived in from childhood to now. I think it would be interesting to my grand and great-grandchildren. Also have been taking pics of my grandchildrens’ residences since each of them were born (have 5 grandchildren by my 2 boys) to make a “timeline” smashbook for the two families. I love mini-scrapbooks—especially the “catch-all” concept with tags & mementos.

21. EMMA says:

Hi, love this idea!!
    As an IKEA co-worker this is a good example how you can organise your thoughts and inspiration!! Love it!!

/Emma from Sweden

22. Nanc says:

One question that I cannot find answered up front anywhere:

Is the Smash book system PHOTO SAFE?

Simple question – really, REALLY need an answer, please :)

Thanks

23. Debi Treichel says:

I also would like suggestions on how to cover your photos so they don’t get damaged. I have purchased the photo insert pages but that limits your creativity and also adds bulk to your book. Is there any type of “film” that you could put your picture in before taping it into your smash book? I’m on my second one and the pictures already look weathered in my first one. Thank you.