Hi there! I’m Maggie Homes, and I’m excited to share a fun washi tape technique that I know you will want to try on your own scrapbook pages!
Make Your Own Washi Tape
Washi tape is all the rage, and if you are like me, you can’t get enough of it! Even though I have quite a large (and growing) supply of tape there are still times when I don’t have the exact color or pattern that I am looking for. The solution is simple: create your own with a few basic supplies!
Mother’s Prayer by Maggie Holmes.
- masking tape
- mist (I used Studio Calico Mister Huey’s in Pretty Pink)
- ink pad (I used StazOn)
- stamps (polka dot: American Crafts, border: Studio Calico)
- Tear off a piece of tape to your desired length and apply it to a piece of scrap paper.
- Spray mist on the tape and use your finger or a paper towel to rub it into the tape. Wipe off the excess and allow to dry completely.
- Stamp the tape with your favorite stamps. Here is where you can experiment and have fun with it. Small patterns work well (see the polka dots I used here). You can also use any type of texture or background pattern stamps. Border stamps also work really well (see the chevron border I used on my layout).
Have fun and don’t be shy about playing around with this technique. A roll of masking tape is inexpensive and goes a long way in creating tons of cute customized “washi tape” strips for you to use on your layouts and cards!
While you’re at it, take a look at page 29 of the Creating Keepsakes special issue Mixed Media Scrapbooking, where you’ll learn another cool DIY decorative tape technique. And be sure to earn your Stickers merit badge today by participating in the altered sticker challenge on Club CK.
I hope you’ve enjoyed day two of CK Summer Camp 2012! Now go out there and create your own custom washi tape!
Would you like to win a totally awesome summer camp prize? Leave a comment here letting us know if you use washi tape (or a DIY version) in your scrapbooking. You could win this prize package sponsored by Accord Publishing, American Crafts, Art-C, Clearsnap, C-Thru, Die Cuts with a View, Eyelet Outlet, Faber-Castell, EK Success, Hero Arts, Jillibean Soup, Pebbles, Provo Craft, and The Paper Company Studio. Comments must be received by Monday, July 30, 2012, at 9:00 a.m. Sorry, we cannot ship prizes internationally. If your entry is chosen and you live outside the United States, you will be offered a year subscription to Creating Keepsakes magazine instead of this prize.
For More Information:
To learn more about decorative tape, visit these fantastic pages:
- Homemade Washi Tape
- Fun Things to Do with Decorative Tape (video)
- Washi Tape Flower Class
- Washi Tape Blog Hop
Congratulations to our winner!
beccanay2: I have a few rolls of Washi tape. Love using it! And that DIY Washi is awesome…can’t wait to give it a try:) Thanks!
Watch for an email in your inbox with instructions on how to redeem your prize.