Do you scrapbook at crops?

Stacy Croninger

Hi!

This weekend I’m at the Scrap It Southern Style Crop in Thomasville, GA. I’ve taught four classes, hung out with some fun ladies, and actually worked on a few projects. I’m amazed at how much these ladies accomplish in three and a half days! One lady made 150 pages, another is approaching 100 cards, and most have attended two or more classes.

And then there’s me. I brought four kits I’ve had in my stash from various CK Scrapbook Conventions and Creating Keepsakes University events that I’ve been meaning to make. In my three and a half days, I’ve completed one mini-album and two cards. Yep, one complete project and 1/4 of another (the card kit has six cards in it).

Peek into my week mini-album

Two cards completed!

Even though I haven’t completed much I’ve had a great time and actually, I’m here to work so that has used up a good portion of my time. But that doesn’t mean we can’t have fun! We’ve played name that tune, had a “cropped” activity (like the Chopped show on Food Network, but a scrapbook version), snacked A LOT, shopped, admired other people’s creations, and escaped from the normal daily routine. And I completed one and 1/4 projects :) Can you tell I’m really proud of that?

When you go to a crop do you get a lot of projects completed? Are you going for the social part (hanging with friends) or to get a lot accomplished or escape home for a weekend? I’d love to hear your experiences – what you enjoy about crops or retreats, how you plan, how often you go, etc.

Hope you had a great weekend and managed to fit some cropping time in, whether it was with a group or by yourself.

This entry was posted in General Inspiration and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Do you scrapbook at crops?

1. Kymberly Buchanan says:

Wow! That’s a hop, skip, and a jump from where I live in Adel, GA! I didn’t even know local crops go on so close to me. I’ll have to check it out next time! I’ve been to one CKC in Jacksonville, FL where I went to the Friday evening crop and really enjoyed talking with other scrappers and I got 2 double page layouts completed. I will definitely check out some local crops in the future. Thanks for the info!

2. Jacki McHale says:

No. Yes? Sigh… I try my best to get work done at crops. But with all the chit chat, gossip, and sharing, after an 8 hour crop I’m lucky to walk away with 5 pages done. Sometimes its just nice to get out. Maybe pack less stuff then!

3. Jenn says:

Oh, man, if I’d only known there was a weekend crop going on 30 minutes from me!!! Will have to search out that group so I don’t miss the next one :)

I love crops and I usually get soooo much done at them, back when I scrapbooked regularly. I’d make up my kits before I left home and just plow through them. Completed an entire 8×8 album for my high school reunion weekend in a day and a half at a crop and had plenty of time to take a few classes, play secret sister, and work on some other projects, too.

4. Karen Lingel says:

I usually get plenty done — not necessarily finishing everything — but making good headway. I like crop time because it is set aside for crafting. A long stretch of time where you are not also trying to get the laundry done or whatever. If you need to sit and stare at a proposed layout for 20 minutes until you figure out what is “missing”, you have the luxury to do that. And when you need a little mental break, then your friends are right there for some chatting!

Anyway, I also wanted to say that the “Cropped” idea is ABSOLUTELY GREAT! I assume you give contestants the scrapbooking equivalent of squid, okra, and jelly beans and see what kind of page they come up with? I would LOVE to participate in something like that! Sounds like fun.

5. Shereen says:

I usually go with the intention of getting things done, but if its at my LSS, I spend more time “shopping”. If its at a convention I tend to be distracted by whats going on around me. But I have good intentions!

6. Kim says:

It depends on how long its been since I’ve been to a crop. If its my first after a hiatus of sorts then I may spend more time socializing (around the food of course) than scrapping but if I am into a pattern of crops & scrapping @ home then if its a subject I have organized, I tend to get more done.

7. Alison Mallon says:

I try and get as much done at the crops as I can. I dont get a lot of time at home to do pages. My husband is constantly nagging me to try and make time but Im sure Im like everyone else and find there is always something else to do. I do have to do a lot of preparation before I go to the crops, eg photos, designs, papers, embellishments, and create my own packs so I just pick them up and off I go.

8. jengd says:

I occasionally go to scraps but I’ve found that it takes SO long to pack for them because I go intending to work on specific scrap pages. By the time I find all of the bits, bobs, papers, and associated etcetera, I could have probably done the page at home a LOT faster. Additionally, I never finish the page because I never know every embellishment I want for the page until I get photos cropped, papers trimmed, and it’s all put together. All of that said, I do like to go from time to time just to socialize and have time devoted to working on my pages. It’s a lot harder to do that at home with a husband and a 5yr old who want to be fed. :)

9. Jennifer C. says:

For me it kind of depends. I generally only get to go to crops that are no longer than 6 hours, so my time is limited. I always bring a couple things to work on, but sometimes I am just not inspired to work on it while there. Sometimes, though, I will get everything done and have nothing left to do. It really depends on what inspiration strikes me when I get there.

10. Kathy Adams says:

It depends on how organized I am before I go. Most of the time I get things done, and usually end up bringing more stuff to work on than I have time for. I like the shopping a lot, too, if there are any vendors there.

11. I was at the Keller’s Creations crop with Stacy and it was fantastic! I got lots of layouts done; nowhere near 150 but I did well considering all the talking I did!

12. StacyC says:

Ladies, I’m impressed with how organized you are. But glad to hear there are others that just enjoy being there :)

Also, Kim is holding another crop on July 19 at the same location so look it up on http://www.acidfree.com. I don’t think she’s posted the info yet, but did announce the date this weekend.

Karen, you are correct about the Cropped game. You get a bag of supplies and have to use each of them on your project and yes, there is a “squid” type product in the mix. It was really fun to see what people come up with.

Thanks for all the comments!
    StacyC

13. Kathy Carter says:

I am getting ready to start a CROP in my town. There is no craft groups or scrapbooking clubs or anything artsy here. So me, the one that always goes out the gate running, has decided this is my current calling. I am also working on starting my very first blog too. So I have been online doing a lot of studying up on many things. Which is ok because I LOVE to learn new stuff and research articles. I hope I have made the right choice to follow my calling. I am thinking it is going to be great fun, much learning, and a lot of trial and error. Can’t beat that for a day in a small town.