How did you start scrapbooking?

Stacy Croninger - Digital Managing Editor

Hi friends!

This Saturday, May 4, is National Scrapbooking Day, which got me thinking about how I started scrapbooking. I had a scrapbook in Junior High and High School – the kind held together with a fancy shoestring on newsprint pages and a glossy cardboard cover. It was really more of a “Smash Book” than a scrapbook, but it held all the important things from those years with notes jotted on the pages. Then in 2000, I was looking for a new hobby/craft to try and I stumbled across an article about the Picture Me foundation (that worked with hospitals to create scrapbooks with sick children), which lead me to an online group of women in the area that scrapbooked. From that day, I’ve scrapbooked, made cards, created home decor, and other paper crafts and have LOVED it.

Layout from Days Gone By

My first layouts are something I don’t really share much these days – they contain decorative-edge cut photos, themed patterned papers that were on the cutesy side, stickers, stickers, and well more stickers. I can’t bring myself to share an entire layout, but here’s a snippet of one.

Recent Creation

I still thoroughly enjoy creating and feel that what I do now is much better designed than my original layouts. But there’s tons of inspiration too – web sites (like CK’s), Pinterest, blogs (like this one), magazines, and more. And I use a lot of that when I create. Here’s a layout I did last June of my favorite subject – the hounds.

Why scrapbook?

So why do I keep scrapbooking? It’s a creative outlet – I love combining paper, ribbon, embellishments, photos, and more to make something that is beautiful as well as captures a moment. It is also a way to record my stories, but not as much as it is a creative expression. Most of the things I create are for other people, which I love. I feel like I’m sharing a part of myself when I give them what I created.

How did you get started scrapbooking? Why do you create? Let’s kick off this National Scrapbooking Day week by looking back at why we love this craft and how it fulfills us.

Looking forward to hearing your stories! And check back every day this week for fun National Scrapbooking Day blog posts.

This entry was posted in General Inspiration and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to How did you start scrapbooking?

1. Kymberly Buchanan says:

I began scrapbooking in 1995 when my now husband and I were dating. My future mother-in-law gave me a gift subscription to Creating Keepsakes. I displayed that first primitive scrapbook at our wedding reception in 2000. In 2006, I really got into it more seriously when I scrapbooked my bridal shower, wedding, and honeymoon to Cape Cod. It looked a whole lot more professional. I continue to scrapbook to be creative and to record those precious memories.

2. Mindy Arnold says:

I started scrapbooking in the spring of 1998. My ex husband got me a $50 gift certificate to Michaels, the craft store. My first child was 5 months old. I started with a book recording his birth. I have been scrapbooking ever since. I have done all kinds of books baby books, sports albums, graduation gifts, mothers Day gifts. The list is endless. I have become a more accomplished scrapper over the years. 15 years and going strong!

3. Pingback: When and Why Did You Start? | Ingram's Inky Ideas

4. Beth says:

I went to a Creative Memories sponsored community ed. class in 1998. I left with the intention of scrapping my 1986 wedding. I thought I should practice on something else and then I made a “first 18 years” book for my neice and then a whole lot of other things. Maybe someday I will get around to that wedding album! I am kind of glad that I did not tackle it right away as, like most of us, I think my skills have improved. lol. Scrapping is my stress relief and creative time.

5. Marcia F says:

I love Creating Keepsakes! I think the extra digital content is great. But I still like my paper copy, too :D

6. Marcia F says:

I’m following you by email – just signed up!

7. Paulette King says:

A friend from my ex-church choir invited me to e Creating memories presentation. And I have been hooked since especially that my daughter has always been scrapbooking since she was a little girl!

8. Trish says:

I started scrapbooking in the 80’s. I would take pictures of New Edition from magazines and put them in photo albums. I made 3 of them and I still have them in my closet. But, it wasn’t until the birth of my niece Jordan that I started scrapping family members. Many scrapbooks, minibooks and cards later…still going strong. I love it!!!!

9. Tammy B says:

I’ve been an avid photographer and enjoyed working on my high school yearbook so scrapbooking seemed a logical “next step”. I didn’t immediately get into scrapbooking because of the $ & time commitment. Finally, I asked for scrapbooking items for Christmas 2002 and the obcession began… I love the shopping, picture taking, colorful papers, telling more of the story, the creative outlet, etc. It’s a way to express myself and destress. I have way too many photos and too little time that I may never scrapbook everything but I’m going to enjoy trying! It’s my passion!

10. Kate says:

My scrapbooking adventure began when my husband gave me a new camera which included a free photography class…taught by Lisa Bearnson! Lisa ended the informative class with a slide presentation of some of her photos and scrapbook pages. Before we left, she handed each person in the class a copy of the very first issue of “Creating Keepsakes”…hot off the press and before it was available to the public. I LOVED that issue and all of the ideas and inspiration it presented. I called and started my subscription the next day! My only regret is that I didn’t ask Lisa to autograph that premier issue. Scrapbooking has opened so many doors for me…designing, teaching, hoarding (!) I love this creative life!!

11. Pingback: The Most Essential Scrapbooking Lesson

12. Alice says:

I loved your blog post! I hadn’t shared my scrapbooking story on my blog yet, but you inspired me! I also shared my very first scrapbook page… from 1997! I was also inspired to share the greatest lesson I’ve learned in my many years in this Wonderful hobby!
    If you’d like to see what you’ve inspired:

13. Kristie says:

Alice, I think there are a lot of us who keep those scrapbook pages tucked away! It was fun though, right? I’m not sure when my oldest daughter and I started scrapbooking with the “new” products — I think around ’99 or 2000. Those old products were such a step up from the really old school scrapping, so we thought they were wonderful back then. Doesn’t it make you wonder how we will feel about what we are doing now, when we look back in another 10-15 years? Hopefully we will feel better about the work we are doing now! ;)